Rogue, a leading publisher of independent video games, today announced the team will be publishing Midwintär, a narrative-driven stealth action game by Gamechuck, an award-winning game development company from Zagreb, Croatia. Inspired by medieval horror folklore, Midwintär combines careful tactical planning with fast-paced arcade execution and innovative gossip mechanics. Play and switch between three protagonists – a werewolf, a vampire, and a moon witch – to exact revenge on a vicious religious cult. Midwintär is coming to consoles and PC, and is now available to wishlist on Steam.
Some key features of Midwintär include the following:
- Off-Kilter Sunny Horror On the outside, Midwintär takes place among sunny, medieval villages populated by friendly inhabitants. Stay overnight, though, and you might be horrified to reveal the true nature of their sacred rituals.
- Sun / Moon Gameplay Cycle Midwintär features a 3-minute day-night cycle that changes your abilities. You must use your daytime skills such as lock-picking or spreading rumors among villagers to best prepare the terrain for the night-time havoc when you transform into a bloodthirsty, overpowered monster.
- Gossip Mechanics Each villager in Midwintär has their own suspicion-meter you can influence by gossiping and spreading rumors about other villagers, and there is also a panic-meter that changes the AI behavior of all villagers on the map.
- Three Playable Characters You will be able to choose, play and switch between three playable characters – a werewolf, a vampire, and a moon witch – each of whom possesses a distinctive skillset and boasts a different playstyle.
- Co-Op Multiplayer Midwintär will feature a split-screen and a local multiplayer for up to three players, enabling all three characters to fight together.
Midwintär catches you at Khazar’s Pass. You shelter in a cave as the days and nights grow long and cold, as the snow seals you in and as the world darkens.
The corrupt and self-righteous religious institution Oblique Order is attempting to destroy the peaceful cohabitation of people and magical creatures in the pagan world of Midwintär, and enforce their order by uniting people against the powers of the wild. You must stop them before they exterminate your kind…
Midwintär starts off as a revenge story that slowly shifts into an exploration about our relationship to the unknown, and about the limits of what we can hope to control or understand.