FINALLY, Universal Studios Hollywood will once again roll out the red carpet and resume operations at the theme park beginning on Friday, April 16. The momentous occasion will commence with a special park preview for Annual and Season Pass Members starting on Thursday, April 15. This will be the first time since March of 2020 that the Los Angeles Theme Park will be welcoming guests back through the ivory archway into the fun and fantasy of Hollywood.
Of course, things will be a bit different at first in order to comply with government regulations. Universal Studios Hollywood will be working in partnership with health and government officials to implement new health and safety procedures that will include controlled capacity to enforce physical distancing and required face coverings. The park will also be limited to local visitors as current government guidelines will only allow California residents to visit the theme park at this time. This will be an evolving situation as most rides will be operational and some rides and attractions will reopen at a later date. The fact is, it’s happening.
A visit to Universal Hollywood after reopening will include a series of guidelines outline the theme park’s new health and safety protocols, also highlighted in the video below and detailed on the Universal Studios Hollywood website.
- Temperature checks for all Guests upon arrival. If temperatures exceed 100.4° Fahrenheit / 38° Celsius or greater, Guests will not be permitted to enter.
- Face coverings required for all Guests throughout their visit. Face coverings also will be available for purchase.
- Controlled capacity within the theme park, and limited occupancy at all CityWalk venues to help enforce physical distancing. Some areas and programs may remain temporarily closed.
- Rigorous cleaning and disinfecting at all food locations, restrooms, and all other high touch points.
- Physical distancing practices at all locations throughout the park and at rides and attractions.
- Eating and drinking permitted only in designated dining areas.
- Contactless payment options wherever possible.
“We are incredibly thrilled to finally be able to open Universal Studios Hollywood, return team members to work and welcome guests back to enjoy our amazing rides,” said Karen Irwin, President & COO, Universal Studios Hollywood. “It has been a very challenging year and we are overjoyed to have arrived at this moment.”
For information on CDC guidelines, click here. Due to the evolving nature of this situation, details are subject to change without notice.
Tickets and Reservations
- Annual and Season Pass Members will be able to resume regular use of their passes starting on Monday, May 17. The theme park will also celebrate Annual and Season Pass Members—who will be among the first to visit—with a series of complimentary Bonus Days on select days from Thursday, April 15 through Sunday, May 16; these Bonus Days can be reserved by Annual and Season Pass Members online starting on Monday, April 5.
- Tickets to Universal Studios Hollywood will be available to California residents only and can be purchased online beginning on Thursday, April 8.
- Due to capacity limits, until further notice, guests with unredeemed tickets purchased prior to April 8, 2021 will need to make an advance reservation at www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com for their visit dates.
For more information about Annual and Season Passes, including Pass Members Bonus Days and re-activation of Passes, reservations for previously purchased tickets or to purchase theme park tickets, visit www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com.
After more than a year of closure, Universal Studios Hollywood is ready for its close-up and set to call “action” on the all-new “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” and “Jurassic World—The Ride,” which features the spectacularly realistic new dinosaur, Indominus rex.
What will be open? Here’s a bullet-point list. It looks as if the only things that will face a delay are Despicable Me and The Simpsons Ride.
- The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!
- Jurassic World—The Ride (featuring the new Indominus rex Dinosaur)
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™
- Flight of the Hippogriff™
- Transformers™: The Ride-3D
- Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride
- Super Silly Fun Land
- Springfield, U.S.A.
- The World-renowned Studio Tour (including Fast & Furious—Supercharged and “King Kong 360 3D)
The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!
A stroll along the cleverly themed Pets Place will bring guests to the front of Katie’s NYC apartment building where the innovative “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” ride resides.
This all-new tech-savvy adventure inspired by Illumination’s blockbuster The Secret Life of Pets films, answers the question, “What are your pets really doing when you’re not at home?”
This impressive new ride combines 64 technologically-advanced animated figures with hyper-realistic media and projection mapping designed to take guests on a journey to meet some of their favorite Illumination characters from the movies, including Max, Snowball, Gidget, Chloe and Duke, along with a host of other animal friends, who have all been transformed and transported into the live-action world. From blinking eyes to eyebrow movements, from head tilts to head nods, from moving mouths to smiles, from ear curls to lip curls, from full torso twists to physically walking, the depth of mobility and function programmed within each of these loveable characters creates an experience unlike any other theme park ride.
Jurassic World—The Ride (featuring the new Indominus rex Dinosaur)
The grand reopening of Universal Studios Hollywood also brings guests face-to-face with “Jurassic World—The Ride’s” all-new, extraordinarily realistic dinosaur, the Indominus rex, who stakes her claim at the ride’s finale in a forceful battle with her arch-rival, the Tyrannosaurus rex.
Breaking new ground with highly complex innovations, this fully-articulated lifelike Indominus injects intense new thrills, excitement and intrigue to the already dynamic ride. Spanning nearly 55 feet horizontally from head to tail and over 22 feet vertically, the Indominus’ imposing presence will be amplified by the fluidity of her motions and synchronized movements that deliver an unprecedented level of authenticity. From the subtle blinking of her eyes, the flexing of her arms and claws and clenching of her jaw as she bears her razor-sharp teeth, the colossal Indominus rex will lunge from her hillside setting, stalking guests just before they descend the giant waterfall drop to escape her grasp.
More information about Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal CityWalk is available at www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Regular updates can be found on Universal Studios Hollywood’s Twitter @UniStudios, Facebook-Universal Studios Hollywood and Instagram @UniStudios.