If you happened to miss the demo for upcoming strategy RPG Black Legend back during the Steam Game Festival: Autumn Edition, say less! The demo is now available once more on their Steam page! Along with the release of the demo, the developers have also dropped a developer diary, which you can watch here.
Creative Director and Lead Designer, Menno van der Heijden, had this to say about the new release:
“The reaction we had from strategy fans during the festival was amazing. Seeing fans of the genre dive into the game and experience this small slice of it for the first time was a huge morale boost to the studio. Between our community Discord and Steam, we’ve received a lot of great feedback about the game, but what we’ve been hearing most is ‘This game looks great, I wish I hadn’t missed out on the demo during the festival’ and the best way to fix that is to well, make it available to everyone.”
Black Legend is a turn-based RPG, where the player is responsible for leading a group into the city of Grant, in order to assist a struggling resistance. By exploring deep into the city, players may begin to gather bits of information from survivors, find new weapons and expand the group’s abilities, and ultimately figure out a way to resolve these conflicts. Some key features in Black Legend include:
- Strategy-Focused Gameplay: Approach each combat with a tactical focus, where unit placement, ability combos, and well-chosen attacks are key to survival. Black Legend focuses on old school strategy vibes, but without the 95% percent chance misses.
- Explosive Combos: Mix up your ranged and melee combat by using alchemy for a wide array of explosive effects. Combine stacks of four different alchemic attacks to injure, poison, and debilitate your foes, but be warned, they will do the same to you.
- Extensive Character Customization: Build your mercenary band with a wide array of classes, each with unique abilities. Improve each of your mercenaries with new weapons, armor, and trinkets, and create your own ability sets by equipping cross-class abilities.
- Choose Your Difficulty: For those who wish to see the story, the path can be gentle. For those who wish for difficulty, even the slightest mistake will be greatly punished.
- Historic Enemies: Black Legend fills the city of Grant with creatures from Belgian, Dutch, and German folklore like nekkers, Halewijn, Witte Wieven and Old Red Eyes.
- An Engaging Story: Dive into the narrative through environmental storytelling, colorful NPCs, and rich set pieces.
- An Entire City to Explore: Free-exploration lets you investigate the many alleys and streets in the city of Grant. Different districts host a wide variety of architecture and environments — you never know where you’ll discover a hidden path, a treasure trove of new items, hidden quest, or recruitable character.
Black Legend is currently set for release in early 2021, on PC, PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X.