The Warner Archive Collection is set to release THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN in a fully restored two-dsic collector’s edition on December 1, 2020. The first, and perhaps the best of the long-running series of horror films from the house of Hammer, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee star in this landmark interpretation based on the famous Mary Shelley story. Baron Victor Frankenstein becomes friends with one of his teachers, Paul Krempe. At first, both men are fascinated by the potential of their re-animating experiments. Eventually, though, Krempe refuses to help with Frankenstein’s human experiments. However, he is drawn back into the plot when Frankenstein’s creature kills a member of the house staff. For its U.S. Blu-ray debut, Warner Archive is proud to present this deluxe 2 Disc Special Edition, featuring two theatrical aspect ratio presentations, meticulously remastered and restored from preservation separations, as well as bonus disc with the restoration presented in “open-matte” format, as was seen for years on television, plus four exciting new retrospective featurettes, an expert commentary, and the original theatrical trailer.
To celebrate the restoration, Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging (MPI) has created a “Before & After” video comparing an unrestored version of The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) with the brand-new version featured on the Two Disc Special Edition Warner Archive Blu-ray.
The new presentation is derived from a recombination of separation masters scanned at 4K 16 bit by MPI, before undergoing full restoration and color correction. Take a look and see for yourself! You may embed the video for your reviews from the YouTube link below or you can download it directly here:
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) – 2 DISC SPECIAL EDITION – Available 12/1
- New 2020 1080p HD Restoration Masters from 4K Scans of Preservation Separation Elements
- Run Time: 83:00
- Subtitles: English SDH
- Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English
- Aspect Ratio: Disc One-1.85:1-16×9 Widescreen and 1.66:1-16×9 Widescreen
- Product Color: COLOR
- Disc Configuration: 2-BD 50
- Special Features:
- New feature commentary by Screenwriter/Film Historian Steve Haberman and Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr
- Newly remastered 1.37:1 Open Matte version of feature
- New Featurettes include: The Resurrection Men: Hammer, Frankenstein and the Rebirth of the Horror Film, Hideous Progeny: The Curse of Frankenstein and the English Gothic Tradition, Torrents of Light: The Art of Jack Asher, Diabolus in Musica: James Bernard and the Sound of Hammer Horror
Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)